Sunday, November 13, 2016

Happy Half Birthday, Ez! - 3.5 Years


Dearest Ez,
My sweet boy that made me a mama, here we are, three and a half years in, and I want you to know that you've taught me far more in these years than I've taught you. I know you would've learned your ABCs and numbers one way or another, but I can't think of anyone else who could have so perfectly taught me that the little things really are the big things. A trip around the block to see some motorcycles makes the whole day better. Taking a little time out each day to stomp some crunchy leaves or dig in a nice pile of sand never fails to bring a smile to your face. You're just as happy with a day at the park as a day at Disneyland.

You've taught me to forgive and forget. The faster the better. Because even though we've both seen each other at our worst you never hold those moments against me. The ones where I lose my patience and immediately regret it and we both need hugs afterward. You're always the first one to offer up those hugs. And while we're at it, you've taught me how to really snuggle, because don't tell your daddy or brother, but you're the best snuggler in the whole world. 


Your enthusiasm for the things you're passionate about is contagious. Seeing you jump up and down when we see a fire truck drive by makes me want to jump up and down too. Almost, anyway ;) I hope you never ever lose that enthusiasm my sweet, passionate boy. 

That same enthusiasm you have when you're excited about life? Well that works in reverse too. If you're not happy you're really not happy. I guess we'll just say you know what you want when you want it, and anything less just won't do. Of course you're not going to get everything you want all the time, and sadly it's my job as mom to teach you those hard lessons. One day you'll thank me. Probably not until you have kids though. But at the same time, even though it makes my life a little harder, I want you to keep some of that fight in you, and stand up for what you want. Not necessarily candy 24/7, but the really important things, and I know you'll be wise enough to figure out what those important things are.

And, most important of all, you've taught me that you are you, wonderfully unique and absolutely perfect just as you are. You're not height and weight percentiles, you're not milestones, and timelines, and benchmarks and averages. You're so much more than that, and as my first child it's been a long slow lesson for me to learn to tune out that white noise from experts and parenting books and "online experts" and just let you be. Because when I do that you never cease to amaze me. Your imagination, the way your mind works, how much you care for others, your playfulness, your serious contemplation, and a million other things that make you you. Your daddy and I so, so proud of you every single day. 



I was just reading through my last Ez update at 3.25 years, and it's amazing to me that you've already grown out of so many of those sayings and favorites. These months really are so fleeting and then all of a sudden you're a little bit bigger and more mature. To call it bittersweet doesn't even begin to do it justice. Here are a few things I want to remember about you at 3.5 years:

- You've just learned to "whistle" - but not actually whistle, you just put your fingers to your mouth and then make a loud, shrill, ear-piercing sound that sounds almost exactly like whistling.

- You call Tootles for just about everything that you possibly need to do in a day. Need to reach something off the counter? Let's call Tootles and ask for an elephant. 

- Monster trucks are currently out, motorcycles are in. 

- Airplanes and trains are also pretty popular at the moment.

- Playing chase at the playground is your new favorite thing. You've branched out of your shell a bit and you love playing tag with any kids that'll join you. 

- If you're trying to get Daddy to chase you, you'll grab a leaf and tell Daddy, "I'm pretty sure this is your leaf!" and then run away. 


- You like to dictate our days now: "Moppy, we're going to see motorcycles today" or "let's go to the playground now." How can I say no to that?

- You get so excited when we pull out the steering wheels for Mario Kart. You run up to me and ask "Are you ready Moppy???" Then you race around the living room with your very own steering wheel.

- You've turned into a bit of a bully. On the one hand I'm happy you're standing up for yourself, on the other, I don't want you to be the instigator. There's a fine line bud, and I think we need to work on that a bit more.

- You love to grab a blanket and come snuggle next to me on the couch, cover us both up, and then say "Now we'll be clean" which apparently means cozy, and it actually makes me a little sad that you're finally learning the actual word cozy.

- Your facial expressions are pretty extreme. You've got your happy face, your mopey face, your intense eyebrows furrowed face. I would not be at all surprised if you wind up an actor some day. 

- You've started doing these sad little puppy dog whines. I gotta admit this isn't one of my favorite phases.

- You're still the king of all engine sounds. If I had to name the current soundtrack of my life, it would be your interpretation of various engines. All day, everyday.


Your daddy, brother, and I love you more than you'll ever know! Happy half birthday to our #1 3.5 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment