Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Our First Anniversary


Our first anniversary snuck up on us so fast. It feels like just a few weeks ago I was riding in a car with my sisters and my mom, screaming at the top of our lungs to get all our jitters out, on the way to marry the love of my life. It also feels like we've been married much longer than just a year, and in many ways we have. Time is a funny thing.

I really feel like I hit the jackpot in marriage. I found a man who loves big, works hard, never complains, and takes amazing care of all of us. I'm not sure what I did to get so lucky, but I definitely don't take it for granted. In honor of one year married, here are six life lessons I've learned from Joe, one for each year we've been together:

  1. With the right perspective almost every situation has a bit of humor in it. 
  2. Stay curious and keep learning.
  3. The early bird really does get the worm.
  4. Playfulness keeps you young at heart.
  5. Time is the most valuable thing you can give someone. 
  6. Family is EVERYTHING.
My parents offered to watch the boys over the weekend and we opted for a staycation. It wound up being 111 degrees, but we still managed to find ways to have fun and stay cool. We ate way too much good food, saw a movie at the historic Tower theater, visited not one, but two used book stores (where we stocked up on five years worth of reading), and finally caught up on the Game of Thrones finale and began House of Cards. We also visited the California Museum, somewhere we've always been curious about but didn't think the boys would like. It was so much fun and well worth the visit if you're in the area. The Unity exhibit was really interesting and interactive as was the health exhibit downstairs and we spent way more time there than we thought we would. 

On Sunday, our actual anniversary, we got brunch and did some shopping before we picked up the boys and ate our year old cake (still yummy!). On Labor Day we visited a local event called Chalk It Up where we saw some amazing chalk art before Declan decided he wanted to walk all over the art, and I got myself a new hula hoop and a mini lesson. All in all a perfect weekend, despite the insane weather. 

And maybe most exciting of all, we FINALLY downloaded our wedding video, which you can check out below if you're interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment