Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Christmas in Sacramento


Five days until Christmas. F I V E. 

Remember when you were a kid and five days felt like an eternity? What happened to those days?? And then after Christmas it's just one more more week until 2018. In case you couldn't tell, I've officially hit what the ef happened to 2017 mode. I'm currently somewhere between wanting to cram in all the Christmas traditions I can, and wanting to just chill and enjoy what's left of this year. Anyone else? ✋

One of the best things about holidays are those things we only do once a year that automatically tie all the past Christmases together and give you that cozy nostalgia feeling. But I'm also coming to the realization that it's worth letting some traditions go in the name of sanity. Confession: I haven't baked a single cookie this year, and I doubt I will. Thankfully my mom came through with several dozen of her cookies, which are no doubt a thousand times better than mine could ever be. I also haven't made a single hand or footprint craft to commemorate this Christmas. The boys seriously hate this tradition, and as much as I love comparing their handprints over the years, it's just not gonna happen. I haven't even watched Love Actually (not yet, anyway). 

And you know what? This Christmas season is the best one yet. 

Ez puts Buddy the Elf to shame when it come to festiveness, and the sight of a Christmas tree or Santa blows his mind every. single. time. Decky hasn't quite crossed over to our level of merriness just yet, but he will get down to some Christmas music and he loves a good Christmas tree (for dismantling purposes, of course). 

Holiday highlights include Ez shouting, "LOOK!! IT'S SANTA!!!" as a white-bearded man in an orange track suit rode by on a bicycle. Also, Ez being the awkward, totally not into it kid during his school's nativity play. Declan pilfering ornaments from the tree every time our back is turned. Both boys' complete and utter joy at an impromptu dance recital we happened to catch. Ez shouting "dare!" (there) every time we pass a house with Christmas decorations. And Decky recoiling in terror any time he comes within twenty feet of Santa. 

It's technically our first Sacramento Christmas as a family, but Joe and I did visit last December and we came across a bunch of stuff we knew the kids would love. Little did we know that we'd be moving here one short month later. So of course we had to stop by the Santa Run and cheer on all the Santas, even if it was windy as hell that day. We stopped by the light show in Old Town, which Ez LOVED and we're hoping to catch one more show before Christmas. We were pleasantly surprised to find that Sacramento goes ALL OUT when it comes to decorating. Like it basically turns into a huge block party/parade and wandering around to check out lights was probably one of my favorite memories of the year. 

Here's a little photo evidence of what we've been up to lately, and as I'm narrowing down my favorite pictures it's no wonder we haven't done any baking. Apparently we've been busier than I realized. Throw in preschool festivities (aka - assembling 60 very ramshackle gingerbread houses) and it's been a crazy month. The best most merriest kind of crazy though.

Wishing you all a restful few days leading up to the big day. Haha, no, but seriously. 


No comments:

Post a Comment