Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Trimming the Tree


Trimming the tree is hands down my favorite Christmas tradition. 
Festive PJs ✓
Christmas carols ✓ 
Keepsake ornaments ✓
Unruly child dismantling the tree as fast as we can trim it ✓

Clearly there's a lot to love 😉
In all seriousness though, the first Christmas that we have a gorgeously decorated tree with perfectly spaced ornaments, and breakable items on the bottom branches will be bittersweet because it will mean my babies aren't so little anymore. For now, I love our slightly ramshackle tree that gets disassembled and reassembled every day all month long. I love turning it on first thing in the morning and hearing Ez exclaim "lights!!" and seeing Declan's eyes light up as he realizes all over again that there's a tree sprouting toys right in our living room. It doesn't get much better than that. 

Everyday activities feel so much more festive against the backdrop of Christmas lights and pine scents. I love seeing favorite ornaments I haven't seen for a year that immediately bring back so many memories. But, most of all, I love all of us piled onto the couch underneath a fluffy blanket watching Mickey's Christmas movies with lights twinkling in the background. It really is the most magical time of the year. 

Ez has inherited my festive gene, and every magical Christmas moment is absorbed and magnified a million times through his eyes. He's at an age where Santa threats mean something and a Santa sighting is enough to nearly make his heart burst. I can say without a doubt that this is the best Christmas yet. 

Decky, on the other hand...well, he's a bit of a bah humbug. He spent most of our tree trimming on the other side of the room playing with Hissy the Cat (a stuffed animal). We managed to catch a few photos where it appears he's decorating with us, but in reality he's undecorating, like the little Grinch he is. He gets it from his Daddy. 

No worries though, Ez and I are festive enough for twenty Deckys. Sooner or later he'll cross over to our side 🎄


And, last, but not least, what happened to my babies??


1 comment:

  1. It’s one of my favorite traditions as well! I love all of the pictures, so sweet. I hope you guys are having the Merriest of Decembers!!

    ReplyDelete