Monday, June 9, 2014

Zoo + Hiking = 33,000 Steps

This weekend we did a lot of walking. We started off Saturday morning at the LA zoo with Grandma Kat. It was my second time there, and I saw a few more animals than last time, including the lions which are my favorite. I think Ezzy's favorite parts of the zoo were the petting zoo where he pulled fistfuls of hair out of the goats (who were surprisingly good-natured about the whole incident) and walking around the children's park. That boy LOVES to practice walking. And he's getting really good at it. I predict sometime this week he'll gain enough confidence to start branching off on his own without Joe or me nearby to coax him. We capped off Saturday evening with a stroll around the park (with Ezzy pushing his lawn mower). He did one full lap (with several old ladies lapping us in the process) and then plopped down on the grass and decided he was done. But I'm guessing one lap on his little legs is like three laps for an adult, so way to go Ez!

Sunday we kicked off the morning with a hike to a waterfall. Ezzy loved splashing around in the water and picking up rocks and eating throwing them. As you can see from that last picture, he was asleep before we made it back to the car. All the other hikers stopped to point and "ooh" and "ah" over the sleeping baby. And one guy gave Joe props for carrying Ezzy all the way to the waterfall. 

Despite all that walking, what really bumped our steps up into the 30k range was our trek to 4 open houses on Sunday afternoon. By the time we got to the last house - which was probably the most beautiful house I've ever been inside (and a little out of our price range at $2.7 million) - our feet were raw. Thankfully there  were furry Ikea rugs in every bedroom and Joe and I made sure to take every opportunity we could to stand on the rugs, pawing at them with our bare feet like cats. It felt like fluffy kittens were massaging our feet. Aside from those miraculous rugs, the master closet was the most impressive feature of that house (in my opinion). It was almost the size of our kitchen and it had so many built in shelves, a bench, and glass drawers...I could have happily lived in that closet. And every single one of the five bedrooms had it's own attached bathroom. It's pretty crazy what $2.7 million will buy you. On our way back home we stopped by the park, then picked up Chinese food. I spent the rest of the night parked on the couch with my feet propped up.

Even though my feet hate me today, Joe and I have decided that we'll make it a goal to walk that much every weekend. Next time I'll be prepared with walking shoes instead of my cheap Old Navy flip flops though.

How was your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment