Friday, August 15, 2014

Oh Hey, Friday

Linking up with Amy!
I don't know about you, but this week has felt long. Since I stay at home, my comprehension of what day of the week it is is pretty low on a normal week, but this week it's felt like it should have been Friday for the past three days. I have just enough brain power left for a completely random blog post.

1. Sleep.
I've written a few posts about our sleep struggles, and let's just say that between vacation and moving, our bedtime/naptime routine has been non-existent around here. We're really working hard on establishing a routine, and if all goes well I'll share that later (we've been referring to this article a lot: Helping Your Toddler Learn to Put Himself to Sleep). For now I'll just say that we skipped one nap earlier this week, and when it looked like we were going to skip another one on Wednesday I got a little desperate and decided to pack us up in the car and drive Ezzy around till he fell asleep. My sanity was kinda hanging on by a thread, so I decided to make the best of the situation and get me a little Starbuck's energy/mood pick-me-up from the drive-thru, conveniently located right around the corner from our house. I ordered my venti iced green tea (extra ice please), get to the window, and realize I didn't even bring my purse with me in my haste to get Ez in the car and napping. Whoops. Pretty sure I looked every bit the disheveled, frazzled mom that I was to the young guy at the drive-thru window.

2. Closets.
My Pinterest boards have been filling up with home-related stuff lately. My current obsession though? Closets! This is the first time in my life I've had more than enough room for all my stuff in my closet. I've even got my dresser in there. Planning on hanging a full-length mirror and my Johnny Depp poster in there too. Home tour pictures will come later, in the meantime, here are a few of my inspiration pics:


Clearly I'm a sucker for color coordination and shelving!

3. Backyard.
Who needs a park when you've got a backyard?? Of course we'll still be making park trips for variety and interaction, but for the past two weeks Ez and I have been house-bound for various reasons. Either because we had to be home to let the a/c guys, or the gate guys in to work on the house, or because we keep forgetting Ez's carseat in Joe's truck. Thankfully we actually have a yard now, so Ezzy can still run off some of his energy. His favorite outdoor activities: chasing his giant yellow ball around, and splashing in his little wading pool:
Unfortunately, all this backyard exploring brings me to #4:

4. Scars.
Yesterday afternoon was brutally hot. In other words, it was the perfect day for some wading pool splashing. Everything was going great. Ezzy was splashing like a champ, surrounded by his toys, and giggling up a storm. Then he spots his ball on the other side of the yard. He climbs out of his pool, takes exactly two steps onto the sun-baked cement, and then turns around screaming. I cooled his poor little feet off in the pool, retrieved his ball, and all was well in his world again until he threw the ball across the patio, started to chase after it, and almost immediately face-planted on the cement. Hard. I picked him up to cuddle him, and realized there was also a poo explosion creeping up his back. Times...

5. Smart phones.
My Samsung went on the fritz this week, which was frustrating for a day, and then exciting, because truthfully I hated that phone, and I hated Sprint and this was my chance for a clean break. Now I have an iphone 5s through AT&T with no contract, and so far I'm very happy. That being said, I'm contemplating a break from smart phones this weekend, and hoping Joe will join me. Anyone else feeling a little too dependent on their phones? I'm not talking about cutting off communication altogether, but just using the phone as a phone (for calls & texts) - and maybe a camera too, but no social media, no mindlessly scrolling through news sites, etc, etc. Check out this blog post, and this one, for more inspiration if you're feeling the same burnt out smart phone dependence that I am.

Happy Friday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. #4...oh man, oh oh man. Some days need a redo. Or a skip. Clutsy toddlers are the worst, always getting banged kneeds etc. So sad, poor babes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Or at least a fast forward. Definitely would've skipped a good 20 - 30 minutes there...

      Delete