Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lent

I'm not Catholic, so I don't usually give up anything for Lent. But I was reading this blog which talks about a 100 days long shopping ban, and it hit me that I want to do that too. But 40 days seems more doable than 100, so that's what I'm giving up for Lent: clothing shopping for myself.

Pre-Ezzy, I used to love shopping. Post-Ezzy, I tend to skip clothes for myself and gravitate straight toward the children's section of any store we're at. I think there are two reasons that I've cut back on buying stuff for myself:
1) Baby clothes are so tiny and cute!
2) my postpartum body isn't that fun to dress.

Lately though I have bought myself a few new items of clothing. I took advantage of the $19 denim sale at Old Navy, because I was tired of only having one pair of jeans that fit. Ironically, the size that fit me at Old Navy was a size 6, which is the same size as most of the jeans in my closet, but for some reason the ones I own don't fit, and the Old Navy size 6 does... I've said it before and I'll say it again - why can't there be some consistency to women's clothing sizes?? But to be honest, I probably don't really need more than one pair of jeans, because most days I just wear yoga pants. If I'm not going anywhere or going to see anyone, I'm obviously going to choose comfort over style. Also, I feel like if I'm already in workout clothes then I'm more likely to actually work out that day. But the workout doesn't tend to happen til late afternoon/early evening, and then after I shower I go straight back into pajamas. Which means I have a closet full of clothes but I'm just cycling through the same three pairs of yoga pants every week. I'd like to think I'm not the only new mom who does that...but I also know there are plenty of new moms that manage to get dressed on a daily basis.

So the reason I'm giving up new clothes for lent is that I want to start actually wearing what's in my closet. And also, I don't want to buy new clothes when I consider myself "in between" sizes. Hopefully in the next 40 days I'll have lost the last 5 lbs, putting me at my pre-pregnancy weight, and maybe even the last 10 lbs to get to my pre-surgery weight.

So there you have it, in writing: no new clothes for me!!

Is anyone else giving up something for Lent? If so, what?

No comments:

Post a Comment